Monday 14 July 2014

WEDDING DIY: Distressed Mason Jar

DIY projects are the best when you have a bit of time to spare but still want to feel like you've done something productive! I love spending my holidays making things and over the past year the focus has been our wedding. After browsing Pinterest numerous times a day I knew I wanted to have a go at distressing some Mason jars. When I went to America at Easter I bought a pack of 12 Mason Jars for something ridiculous like $8! A LOT cheaper than over here in the UK that's for sure!! I somehow managed to get them back here, without one single one smashed. Quite an achievement when taking connecting flights too!


These Distressed Mason Jars are so quick and easy; grab a sunny day, set yourself up outside and enjoy....


What you'll need:
Mason Jars
Acrylic Paint
Paintbrush or Sponge Brush
Nail File



What to do:
1) Decide on the colour you'd like to paint them, I went for a pastel blue so that it's in line with our wedding but any colour would work really.

2) Mix a lot of the colour you've decided, it's surprising how much paint is needed to paint 12 Mason Jars!


3) Paint the outside of the Mason Jars completely. I painted a thin layer, let it dry and then painted another layer. This ensures that there are some layers to take off when you want to create the distressed look.
TIP: If you don't want brush strokes then use a sponge brush.


4) Once the outside of the Jar is completely covered in paint and has dried you can start distressing it. Using a nail file means you have more control over the areas you want to distress. I wanted to just take off the paint on the lettering, gently rubbed over those areas and the paint comes off.


5) That's it! As there's no paint inside you could use these for flowers or storage jars - anything that takes your fancy :)




Feel free to leave me a comment :)


Helen x



SHARE:

1 comment

  1. These look gorgeous, I LOVE doing stuff like this in the sun xxx

    ReplyDelete

© Treasure Every Moment. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig